Sunday, November 12, 2006

Hot water...

Okay, so for those of you waiting with bated breath for the follow-up on where the expression "in hot water" came from (I'm sure you are all *so* anxious for this info!) I have a book called A Hog on Ice & Other Curious Expressions: The Origin & Development of the Pungent & Colorful Phrases We All Use, by Charles Earle Funk (I know, I'm a dork!) which says that "People first got into trouble thousands of years ago, though English-speaking people didn't refer to it as 'hot water' until about the beginning of the sixteenth century. Possibly the allusion was to the ancient way that unwelcome guests were sometimes warded off--by heaving a kettleful of boiling water, when available, upon troublesome intruders. But, oddly enough, more than two centuries after the figurative use was a matter of record, James Harris, before starting on the great diplomatic career that eventually caused him to be created Earl of Malmesbury, supposed that 'in hot water' was a modern phrase of his period, and called it such, in 1765, in one of his letters." So there you have it! You are no longer ignorant as to the origins of that phrase! Phew, you can breath a sigh of relief! One less thing to wonder about... You're welcome!

P.S.

1.) A real fire, with real wood! I love standing around a fire!
2.) Homemade apple pie and to top it off, homemade ice cream!!! Thanks to the Johnsons for # 1 and #2!!
3.) So good to hear the phone ring and have the call be from my mom and sister saying they made it home safely... Even though it took longer than usual because of snow!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shana! I set up a blogging account. I'm like you now!! Our address is http://valdesfamily.blogspot.com

    No pics yet because, as you may have guessed, I'm at work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea!! So glad you decided to join everyone! Now I'm gonna link you... Ohhh that means I could have a family link like all the other cool people!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete